Thursday, June 11, 2009

Now THAT was a good game...

Game four of the NBA Finals was definitely intriguing. Anyone that knows me knows that I don't like Derek Fisher, but I mean... wow. Those two threes were huge--even if the second one should have been an offensive foul on Kobe. Bryant is looking right at Jameer Nelson, when throws an elbow, hitting him square in the jaw-- no foul. Are you kidding me? I realize its overtime, and I know Kobe gets the star treatment--but that was ridiculous. Those are the kind of plays Fisher usually makes (the elbow, not the three)...
Second thought-- how is it that hard to inbound the ball? It seemed every time Turkoglu tried to bring the ball in late in the game, he struggled to find anyone to take the ball. I guess the Lakers are really good at defending them (just ask the Nuggets), but its hard to imagine why they have struggled so much there-- I like Pietrus and all, but he is the last guy I want shooting at the end of the game for Orlando.
On the flip side, you have to think Orlando wouldn't mind having Trevor Ariza back on their team about now--or at the very least anywere other than the Lakers. His energy in the third quarter (not to mention the 13 points) really sparked LA.
As for Magic shooters, man Rashard Lewis struggled. He was nowhere near the player he had been in the last two games. Between his disappearance act, all the turnovers, and a large number of missed free throws, this was Orlando's game to win. I realize the series is already 3-1 Lakers, so this might not be overly profound, but I can't see a team bouncing back from a game like that and still win the series.
One other quick note on free throws-- you realize LA went from 1:28 in the third quarter to 3 seconds left in OT without a free throw? Wowsers...
Speaking of that flagrant on Pietrus, let me say this. Pau Gasol is a very good player, but he is a punk. When you are up 7 with the game no longer in doubt, you don't dunk the ball-- at least not on the road. You turn around, dribble out the clock and celebrate. Instead, Pietrus did what I think most other players would do--he took exception. And then Gasol, instead of turning the other cheek, or at the very least high-fiving teammates and giving a gloating smile; taunts Pietrus and tries to pick a fight. Really? Really Gasol? Why don't you stick to screaming like a banshee everytime you go up for a layup, and hit the deck when Dwight Howard breathes on you. There is no call for the dunk, let alone the taunt.
But that shouldn't take away from the fact that LA hit the big shots, and as much as it kills me to say it, Derek Fisher was huge.

No comments:

Post a Comment